Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The communications/information superhighway

The internet. I remember the days before that ubiquitous word. I remember the days of going to the library if you needed to do research. Times when you need to read a newspaper to get the news. Times when you have to actually pay bills with a stamp.

Since coming to Shanghai, the internet has impacted my life in a different way than the way it did when I as back in NY. Now I can stay in touch with family and friends via e-mail, IM or even be able to speak via messenger programs such as Skype or Yahoo Messenger. This does not take the place of actually physically meeting up friends and family but considering I am over 10000 miles away its not bad.

The biggest impact the internet had on my life here in China is that I am able to follow the news and happenings back in the States. It has become a double edge sword. While I am able to follow news about things the I am familiar with, it has in some ways inhibited me from really plunging myself into my new surroundings. I think sometimes I am not really in tuned with what is going on over here in China. While I am able to stay informed about national news here in China, I don't get to follow local news as often simply because they are not really covered in English. I also know less about events that are being held locally.

Despite some downside, I really feel that the internet has really enhanced my life during my time over here in China.

No comments:

web designers guide page
Get a free hit counter here.